Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 2, 2014

This year has started with these daily devotions revolving, at least in some thought, around the devotional book by Tony Dungy, Uncommon Life Daily Challenge.

Tony Dungy comments, "If we can see our tomorrow and know how good it is, we can live in confidence today.  We have courage to face anything when we know this is what awaits us on the other side of it."  God has promised me a tomorrow.  Whether it is in this physical life as I know it or in the spiritual life beyond, only He knows, but I have a tomorrow.  I might not want that tomorrow but it will happen.  The choice He gives me, through my free will, is to choose to live that tomorrow with Him or to not be with Him. 

Here, in this physical world, I have not been promised a life of leisure, comfort, and ease.  I may experience these at times, but these are not guaranteed promises of God.  Some faiths would debate that statement.  I am promised that if and as long as I choose Him, He holds my future in His hands.  He guarantees my place with Him forever more.  I may have trials, tribulations, or be hated by men, but He promises that He will be with me.  He assures me that being with and near Him will outweigh all the grief, pain, and torture this world can offer.  He even assures me that He will never leave me, even if I sin.  He loves me whether I choose Him or not and there is nothing I can do about it but choose to accept it or reject it.

It is very encouraging to know that there is a tomorrow for me whose grandeur is impossible for me to describe.  God is life and love.  Knowing that there is a tomorrow where all my internal cracks or scars of separation, doubt, pain will be filled to overflowing with a love too big to describe and too much to contain that produces and accelerates life is overcoming. 

I have no excuse to not have courage.  I should be able to "not be afraid" as the angels told the shepherds in the fields the night of Christ birth since God's message is "good tidings of great joy".  Having a future held by a promise of the Creator of the universe is great joy indeed!

No comments: