Wednesday, January 8, 2014

January 8, 2013

Titus 2:6

New Living Translation (NLT)
In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely.

I was doing fine until Tony breaks away from the NLT and states that other translations use the phrase "self-controlled."  Suddenly my toes are hurting.  In fact:
NIV: Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled.
NASB: Likewise urge the young men to be [a]sensible;
Aaah - now that's more like it.  I can define sensible in terms I can live with. 

Such a simple verse and a very short and rarely-referenced book, yet such a tall order to which to truly live.  I confess I struggle with excesses - gluttony, materialism (there are so many toys and tools I really NEED!) among others.  Self-control in these areas is easy for people who aren't susceptible to them, yet I find them impossible to control myself.  I know intellectually I need God's grace and assistance to overcome these and I do so by yielding to his Lordship in these areas.  I know that the only way to yield is to pray, but I don't get the results I really want.  I want instant satisfaction and gratification (wait, isn't that a form of gluttony in and of itself?), yet God works slowly and in different ways than I would.  I want my desires gone, my weight immediately reduced, and my life restored to some unspecified restore point in my younger years.  Yet, I know that that which is easily gained is not appreciated, respected, nor life-changing. 

In the words of Brian Regan "this is a hard rule!"

Lord I pray that you will be that consuming fire I need to overwhelm my urge to be in control and to over-indulge in those things you have gifted to me.  Forgive the excesses of my past and help me walk the straight and narrow path of self-control.




 

 

 


1 comment:

Chris said...

That's a rough rule.