Thursday, January 2, 2014

Jan 1st


Jan 1 – 1 Corinthians 9:27 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.  This verse reminds me that my first priority is to be beyond reproach as a husband, a father, a member of my church, and a witness in my community. 

As I approach a new year, I’m not one to make resolutions simply because I’m hanging a new calendar on the wall.  I’ve always believed every day is a gift from God and one in which he might demand radical physical, emotional, or spiritual changes or adjustments.  In fact, I worry about well-meaning Christians who use the new year as a forcing function to set lofty goals and then seek God’s endorsement and help.  To set goals and ask for God’s assistance puts me in the Lordship role which clearly God demands exclusively for himself.  I guess I worry that I might set goals that aren't congruent with God's specific will and at least could rob energy needed to do His will and at worst could actually pull me outside of His good and perfect will.  Instead, I think I should constantly be looking for His guidance and challenges and moving to adjust to His activity in and around me. 

Considering that then, I believe I have two significant challenges for the next year.  Losing just over 30 pounds last year and needing to lose about that much this year clearly exposes the sin of gluttony in my life.  I cannot be a positive witness for Christ if I am disqualified due to “living in sin.”  I am feeling called to take a courageous stand for Truth (John 14:6) and do not want to be disqualified because of unconquered sin.  Clearly I stand not just in need of a Savior, but a Lord who can provide the grace and discipline I need that I can't generate on my own.

More importantly, its become painfully obvious that I’ve lost my spiritual zeal.  Devotions have become a forced exercise rather than a time of revelry with my first love.  Clearly I need to work through this and need some additional accountability to keep me focused until daily devotions not only become a habit again, but become a time I look forward to with true eagerness. 

The real bottom line for me this year is a renewed sense of urgency to ensure that God is truly Lord of each and every detailed aspect of my life.  Only then can I be assured that my life will have any significance, particularly in an eternal sense.  To make him Lord, however, I’ve got to improve my attitude towards true daily devotion (as opposed to just reading some inspirational or thought provoking passage).  Perhaps a daily devotion should be focused on understanding God’s will and how to make him Lord.  This will be the focus of today’s prayers. 

 

 

1 comment:

Chris said...

I have found that when a daily read is mundane and un-exciting, when I dread taking the time to read a 2-minute devotion, and when I am having to force the work to try to have a devotion is within me then I am is in real trouble. Ultimately, the devotions just get dropped. There should be a "sense of urgency" regarding our "spiritual zeal" as you say. ... Part of me thinks that I get too relaxed with topics I think I know. I wonder if I crave input from others who are wise and can throw insights at me that I would have never considered. And instead of doing the extra work of reading other authors for each daily devotion and spending even more time and intensity on it, I drop out. Part of me wonders if I can take the 30 minutes required instead of the 5 I had planned. But then, if it took us an hour to walk to God everyday to hear 5 minutes of wisdom, would we do it? How far would the walk have to be before we wouldn't go? Should there be a distance we wouldn't go?