Friday, January 10, 2014

Jan 10

1 Samuel 18 Now it came about when he had finished speaking to Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as himself. (NASB)

Nothing has taught me more about love than having children of my own.  I fully realized the power of agape when they were born and I couldn't help but love them unconditionally.  I found as they grew and at times deeply disappointed me, my agape for them never diminished in the least.  Furthermore as I contemplate what God did for us by sending himself to us in the form of his Son, I can only begin to fathom the depth and breadth of the agape it took to sacrifice Him for people who in some cases deny and outright hate Him.  As I've had the opportunity to watch and parent them through relationships, I've found it necessary on a routine basis to help them begin to sort through the differences in agape, phileo, and eros.  Categorizing love has helped us both sort through how to properly enter into and remain in relationship with others. 
As a teenager I clearly recall as a sophomore in HS getting my drivers license well ahead of my peers.  Suddenly I was one of the most popular people at my HS with something to do all the time.  By my 17th Birthday, however, I wondered where all my "friends" had gone.  They had chosen to enter into a brief relationship based on what they could get out of me.  I had learned how fleeting, simple, and shallow phileo can be. This doesn't help those of us who are introverted "put ourselves out there" by the way.  Later in life, however, through church, I've met and am friends with some incredible people who can overlook my quirks, annoying habits, and general introverted nature and genuinely agape me as well as enjoying a phileo relationship.  What a blessing from God!  I've learned much from those relationships, especially what God meant when he said:
"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13).  I've learned that this doesn't mean I have to physically die to be a friend although it could, I've learned that it means to be willing to put my own agenda aside in the interest of others.  Jonathan clearly demonstrated this agape love for David. 
Lord may my life always be available to you for the sake of others and your kingdom. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ummm...you're introverted? Never would have guessed that one. You hide it well.