Friday, January 24, 2014

January 24, 2014

When Jesus heard this, he told them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor – sick people do.  I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.” – Mark 2:17

I think this is very convicting.  The church in general has always looked down at you if you hung around people of questionable character.  I think there are some good reasons for it, but it has probably gone too far in the past and is making a comeback in this area. 

There are some real dangers here.  How much influence can a person who doesn’t know Christ have on you?  It is a lot easier for someone to pull you down than for you to pick them up.  It is important to do what Jesus did and concentrate on their spiritual condition. 

This verse says “those who know they are sinners”.  First, we must let others know they are sinners.  If they do not agree or accept this we cannot go any further with that person.  But if they do recognize this and accept it, then we can introduce them to Jesus for this is who He came to call.

Most of the time, but not always, this type of person is a person who is difficult to like, much less love.  1 John 4:11-12 says, “Since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.  No one has seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us, and His love is made complete in us.”   So, we give our concern and love for them by showing them how we are all sinners and then how Christ saves us.  And in doing so, God’s love is made complete in us. 

Do we fear the rejection of man more than we desire the work of completion of God’s love in us?  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I always think of the saying "Church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints." You don't go to church to show how good you are but to repent of your sins because we ALL sin (regardless of whether or not we think we do) and to learn something. Yes we fear rejection of man more than what's really important over and over again. I believe it's called pride.

Chris said...

I like the comment "you don't go to church to show how good you are". Lately, I've been wondering why we go to church. Our church is sorely missing that family atmosphere and coming together it had 5 or 6 years ago. I am having trouble even penning what's wrong with it, except I know there is something missing.

I definitely think you are right, pride is the biggest problem and we have to be fighting constantly against it.

Unknown said...

Sometimes I go to church just to drive home the lesson to my kids that church attendance is a priority to me. It's not necessarily for me, but about me honoring God and showing that setting aside regular time to focus on him is important. Finding excuses not to go like "I just don't get anything out of it, or I just don't feel any passion" as I hear makes attendance about me, not Him. I can remember my parents being harsh critics of numerous pastors as I grew up, but there was never a question about going. Consequently, when I got to MSU and missed a couple of Sundays, I felt the emptiness of a life-long habit. I got off my butt, and found a church to attend. Don't underestimate the power

Unknown said...

Of your example. When we push through dry spells, our kids may whine, but they understand the importance you place on church attendance. When we get frustrated and don't go, we give them permission to find excuses themselves to not go.