Thursday, January 30, 2014

Jan 30

Joshua 1:8

This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good [a]success.  (AMP)
 
I really like Tony's insight today.  I like it all, but especially this summary: "...real success is about doing what God has called you to do as well as you can." 
Therefore as a spiritual leader of my household, my church, my Emmaus community, my role is to introduce those around me to God, teach them all I can about discerning God's call, and instilling a solid work ethic, not for their own success, but to ensure that they glorify God in their calling (Col 3:17, 23).  Part of this is to learn and practice this so that my life is a demonstration that success on earth is not gauged by my ego or by worldly standards, but by a Holy God who has called me to be like Him.  He came  in humility to serve God and others.  Once learned and modeled for others, I need to hold them accountable for finding God's call, answering it with their whole heart, and learning to measure success by how well we answer God's call each day. 
I'm convinced Tony's challenge to "score" ourselves is a skill I'm not sure I've mastered.  I'm not even sure how to start.  If I look how I do loving God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, I don't think I score well.  I love God, but with how much of me is debatable.  I'm not convinced that if God called me to make a radical change in my life (as he did to the rich young ruler) I could do it.  Sure, if guess if there was a burning bush such that the call came with much clarity and certainty perhaps. I think I do OK with those close to me - I've introduced my kids to the Lord, my wife loves the Lord, those closest to me do as well.  Am I doing all I can to point them to God's call, encourage and assist them?  I have to say no.  I guess most importantly, I still have not mastered loving my wife as Christ loves the church.  So often when I think I've reached spiritual maturity, I hear an "Oh really?" from God. 

No comments: