Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Jan 29

1 Corinthians 10:12-13

12 Therefore let anyone who thinks he stands [who feels sure that he has a steadfast mind and is standing firm], take heed lest he fall [into sin].
13 For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin), [no matter how it comes or where it leads] has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man [that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not [a]adjusted and [b]adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear]. But God is faithful [to His Word and to His compassionate nature], and He [can be trusted] not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will [always] also provide the way out (the means of escape to [c]a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently.  (AMP)
 
Many recent events have revealed just how easy it is to fall to temptation.  While I've warned teenagers for years of how insidious sin is, I don't think I fully appreciated the depth of Satan's grasp on us.  Moreover, I'm recently convicted of how satan convinces us to rationalize, ignore, and accept those very things which we uniquely fall victim.  Therefore it's easy to see other's sin while I'm blind to my own.  For so long I've found it baffling how some people can rationalize or accept that which is so obviously sin, but I'm becoming aware of sin in my own life which I've rationalized for years.  While not so obvious, it is none-the-less sin.  Proof that we are all the same - sinners in need of a savior.  To think that I might be different or somehow better than anyone else is to fall victim to pride - see above! 
 
My young neighbor, Reed, likes to joke about some sins being "bad sins."   While we like to laugh about it, I think I've been conditioned to truly believe this as fact.  Now we all know that earthly consequences of sin vary, but spiritual consequences are all the same - separation from God.  Homosexuality for instance is one of those "bad sins" and its easy to find obese conservative Christians like me bashing it.  Satan has provided so many ways to rationalize our sins - after all, we have to eat, don't we?  I find it easy to be blinded to the sin of gluttony (the health ramifications are much more obvious), the sin of pride (after all, I'm not like them), the sin of materialism, and so on all of which seem to be not so "bad" yet in my heart I know they all displease God. 
 
So, it is clear that failure to be constantly in touch with, in tune with, or in relationship with God, is to fight temptation without the only real effective tool we have in our arsenal - the power of God.  To think that I can get up, shower, dress, and execute my day without the direction of the One who really knows best is perhaps my weakest character flaw.  Therefore, I find comfort and yet conviction in these verses.  Comfort in the fact that all I need to resist temptation has already not just been given to me, but PLACED INSIDE ME.  My failure to allow God to successfully fight temptation is a simple result of choosing not to (outright disobedience), lack of faith, or a lack of discipline to be in constant contact with Him. 
 
Lack of discipline and outright disobedience are simple choices I'm confronted with every day and my failures bother me. A desire to continue sinning is an indication that I'm not willing to make Christ Lord of every aspect of my life and also says that I believe contentment can be found outside of Christ.  At worst, I suppose it could mean I actually don't belong to Christ (John 8:47), but there is some evidence, I guess, to the contrary. 

So I have much growing left to do.  Which brings me around to today's devotion by Tony.  The importance of teamwork in accountability and support.  Until I mature to the point where I truly desire His Lordship over these aspects of my life, I need help. 

No comments: