Monday, January 20, 2014

Jan 20


PATTERN YOURSELVES after me [follow my example], as I imitate and follow Christ (the Messiah). (1 Corinthians 11:1 AMP)

What a blessing to sit a shooting house watching the woods come alive around me. 

Yesterday Ryan and I had a long talk about the lack of passion in our church, especially since the death of Chris Antil. Some try, but much of their focus is on performance and the approval  of others rather than glorifying God.  I couldn't help but think, however, that when we have discussions like this, we may be hearing God call US to action.   I know God is interested in us worshipping in spirit and in truth and for many of us this is profoundly and deeply personal and private. While the outward expression may lack zeal, there is a true response in our spirit. I confess to being one of these self-conscious types that can be profoundly moved yet not show outward emotion (unless Kerianne catches me wiping my eyes which she has made a hobby of observing). 
Waiting for others to show it, however, may in fact, be an abdication of my own leadership call and responsibility. For all the great community leaders in our church, when it comes to worship, we're a congregation of lemmings waiting for someone, anyone to take us somewhere, anywhere. Perhaps rather than sitting back and waiting on someone else to become passionate, perhaps I'm being called to show it. After all, failure to lead is at least a failure in my spiritual leadership responsibilities to my own family.   
I think it's time to quit whining about problems in the church and ensure I'm answering Gods call for my part.  After all, if I'm complaining, I just made myself part of the problem. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Interesting that you were discussing the lack of passion in the services. Julie and I were commenting on that and how the services have been some of the worst we think we've ever sat through. I think this is partly because we are craving preaching that carries the spirit of God which convicts the soul. Sitting through a slow, methodical sermon is tough for us, at least right now, even if the material is okay. And if it is tough for us, what attraction is there for our children to pursue this once they are out on their own? Somehow, we have got to show them preaching and singing where there is the Spirit and life.