Saturday, January 18, 2014

Jan 17


For if you forgive people their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14, 15 AMP)

I've always been intrigued that Jesus interrupted his lesson in how to pray with this important admonition to forgive.  This must really be important. So many lessons on this revolve around the importance of forgiving ourselves. I know it's critical to do so and inability to do so is in effect denial of God's sovereignty over sin and a dimishment of his grace and mercy. Yet so much of today's preaching is self-centered and I need to learn to be other-centered.  I need to forgive those who insulted my wife and family and are unrepentant. I need to forgive those who insist I need another mother. I need to forgive those who have insulted me for being weak brained because I have faith in an unseen God.  

I note, however, that forgiveness doesn't instantly re-earn my trust. Maybe it should and if so, I have a lot of growing to do.  Currently, once my trust has been violated, I withdraw and interact with these people only when forced to do so.  So how do I tell if I've truly forgiven these people?  Must our relationship return to its original status?  

My real fear, however, is that I'm lazy about my own sin.  I'm not sure that I really do a good job of taking an honest inventory each day and seek His forgiveness or even recognize my own sinfulness.  This seems like an area in which I need to be more sensitive. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

"Once my trust has been violated, I withdraw and interact with these people only when forced to do so." What do you do if those people come to you in pain and need help? Do you help them just enough to get them away from you so you can withdraw? Do you continue to help them until you can see they no longer need it? ... I'm just asking questions. As an engineer I tend to do the same thing as you have said it. I believe God has to conquer this part of me so I can and will maintain a part of someone's life who needs help. Jesus didn't come for the healthy, but the sick. If I am unwilling to be around sick people, then how am I like Christ?