Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6, 2014

Dungy's devotion comments, "He [God] was very purposeful in designing your life.  He made you to be uniquely significant and to have an eternal impact on the world around you. ... The fact is that when you believe you were designed for a purpose, you will live with a purpose."

Jeremiah wrote in 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".  This is an awesome turnaround for Jeremiah who had written earlier in despair and depression, Why did I ever come out of the womb to see trouble and sorrow and to end my days in shame? (Jeremiah 20:18).

Other Bible greats and authors have had similar thoughts.  David remarks in Psalm 89:47, Remember how fleeting is my life.  For what futility you have created all humanity!   Job declares in Job 9:29, Since I am already found guilty, why should I struggle in vain?  Even Isaiah exclaims, My work all seems so useless!  I have spent my strength for nothing and for no purpose at all." (NLT)

Solomon did the biggest test and he recorded it in Ecclesiastes.  In Chapter 2 he says, “Laughter,” I said, “is madness. And what does pleasure accomplish?”  I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was good for people to do under the heavens during the few days of their lives.  ...  I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me.  ...  I denied myself nothing my eyes desired.  ...  Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.  ...  So I hated life  ...  I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun.

Fortunately, each one found God and found God's purpose in them and their value to Him.  David describes how important we are to God when he says in Psalm 139: 16, Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth; all the stages of my life were spread out before you, The days of my life all prepared before I’d even lived one day.  Solomon wrote in Proverbs 16:4 that God made everything with a place and purpose, and also in Ecclesiastes 3:11 he reflects on God's plan, God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but people can't see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end. (NLT)

We are very valuable to God.  Jesus said that "Not even a sparrow, can fall to the ground without your Heavenly Father knowing it.  The very hairs on your head are all numbered!  So don't be afraid; you are far more valuable to Him than a whole flock of sparrows." - Matthew 10:29-31 (NLT)

We were created for a purpose.  For in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him.  Colossians 1:16

We find our purpose by having Christ in our life.  It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone.  Ephesians 1:11-12 (MSG)

I can sum it all up to say that I am here by design and it is a glorious design that God values very much.  In fact I know He loves me much more than I can ever love myself.  He has a unique purpose for me but I will only find that person though a relationship with Jesus Christ.  So if I want to know my purpose, I need to know Him and stay close to Him.  Everything else I do, outside of that purpose is, as Solomon discovered, meaningless.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great lesson material!