Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014

Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed. - Proverbs 16:3

This term "commit" might mean to roll your cares and concerns from yourself onto Him; to put the purpose of your work into the hands of God; to do what you believe He is directing you to do only; or to purposely and consciously organize your work so it is aligned with God's Word.  It also might mean all of these.

Dungy comments, "God calls us to be available and faithful to His ways and His Word.  The result [of our works] is up to Him; the impact and influence in the world and for His Purposes happens in His timing, by His hand - and ultimately for our good and His glory.  ...  If we commit to Him, our plans will succeed, as success is defined by Him."

Dungy also asks the questions: "What standard of success are you following?" and "Will that success always be considered success in the world's eyes?"

I am reminded of the story of the missionary couple returning by ship from 40 years of service to small tribes in South America.  He and his wife are standing at the railing as the ship is docking.  They see much fanfare and excitement for President Theodore Roosevelt who is also on this same ship and is returning from a hunting trip in South America.  There is much press and interviews and photographs and such for the President while the missionary couple quietly exits the boat without so much as a single person noticing as they disembark.  The man is angered by this and says to his wife, "So many years of service to God for the people in South America and there isn't a sole to notice our return!"  To which his wife answers, "Let's not be exasperated now, we're not home yet!"

What is the measure of my success?  It must be finding my God-given purpose and doing it.  Even the most dedicated Christians among us get it confused on occasion.  Sometimes this is a very difficult thing to know and sometimes it is right before me.  I have to pray and look and follow.  My measure of success can only be doing what I know I must do in accordance to the direction God gives me in Spirit and by what His Word says - no matter how difficult that may appear to be to do.  And I have to know that the world will condemn that work and call it wasted.

In Jeremiah 29:11 God says, "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  A loving God who is planning a prosperous future for me with hope will not give me actions and purpose contrary to that future.  I must Trust in His success and in His plan.  

No comments: