Sunday, May 18, 2014

Unmitigated Disaster


But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15 NIV)
Yesterday was Kerianne's 21st birthday (and the wedding day for Brittany McGrail and Stephen Barebo). I had so hoped to make it a special day for her. We began by letting her "sleep in" and showed at Disney's Hollywood Studios for lunch at 1215. I had hoped lunch at Sci Fi Cafe would be something new and unique.  Being arranged in a late 50's style car table facing a screen playing trailers from 50's B rated Sci Fi trailers wasn't conducive to group interaction. Worse, i had felt feverish all morning and I could tell it during lunch as i went suddenly from cool to sweating profusely. The park was mobbed with people dressed up for the first day of Star Tours, so getting on rides was a challenge to my patience (speaking of unmitigated disasters, this new fast pass system is one).  We scurried from one end of the park to the other using the fast passes I did have starting with the great movie ride in which I stood in line thinking if this doesn't hurry along, I'm going to have to go to the restroom which I finally did - as the doors opened for us to get on the ride - argh!  The day culminated with me breaking my $750 Maui Jim prescription sunglasses on RocknRoller Coaster. We gave up at 7pm and returned to the hotel. To celebrate her 21st we had dinner in the foodcourt. Ugh!  I was frustrated and felt absolutely terrible. I think I got in bed around 9:20. ( BTW, the boys were smart - they got themselves up early and hit the park at opening finishing nearly the whole thing by noon with multiple rides on RnR and ToT.)
I'm not suspicious, nor do I think God intentionally caused any of these things, but you'll notice, I didn't start my day with devotions. If nothing else, devotions center me under God and remind me to keep things and view all things from the perspective of the victory represented by the cross.  True, lasting, penetrating joy comes only from God, not Disney or any other man-made thing.  
By far the worst part, Reja was grumpy or at least non-communicative all day.  Upon reflectio, I believe my first words to her yesterday were something along the lines of "you better hurry or we'll be late for lunch."  Chris had written an excellent devotion regarding a wife's countenance being a measure of her husband's success at loving her as Christ loves the church.  
Today I'm going to be decidedly different.  I'm choosing to start today as I know I should.  I got up earlier than everyone else and have retreated to a quiet place to consider my own failures.  I begin today focused on what truly matters and I greeted my wife with a kiss.  Today I'm choosing to live differently. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Not the day you hope for while on vacation. Good thing your joy is not based on earthly accomplishments right? Be God's arms and hug your family, be God's patience and be patient today, be God's joy and fill someone's ... etc. Sounds like you've made a great new start. Hope the rest of your days are better.