Thursday, May 8, 2014

May 8

James 2: 14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. 19 You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. 20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?
Decisions.  So you've prayed, researched options, prayed over them, searched scripture, sought wise council, analyzed your circumstances, and have finally arrived at what you believe is a Godly decision.  Now what?  GO!  A good decision becomes terrible when not acted upon immediately.  I can't tell you how many people I see wrangle with decisions, then fail to follow up.  Sometimes we procrastinate.  Other times we set our priorities too low.  Let me give you an example:  I suffer from a chronic case of obesity.  I know I should eat better foods, eat less of it, and get more exercise these are all supported by scripture, prayer, and wise council.  I have this little thing, however, called a job that competes for my time and attention.  There is so much to be done at work, I often don't get home until 6:30 or 7pm.  This is not the time to be rummaging around in the frig or freezer to whip up a healthy, balanced meal.  Consequently, I reach for simple, filling things like starches and sugars that come out of a bag or a box, are quick to prepare, and fill me quickly.  Then I fall on the couch, or more likely as of late, go back to work.  Not a healthy lifestyle.  So what has happened?  I've let me job out-prioritize my health.  If I don't reverse this, someday I will not be able to work, at least not at my peak capacity and capability. 
Many people have recognized the symptoms and encouraged me to get exercise or eat differently.  These aren't the heart of the matter, however.  The heart of the matter is a matter of my heart - my priorities.  I'm allowing work to out prioritize my health.  No amount of advice, given in love of course, can fix my priorities.  I've got to decide that my health is important enough to make a lifestyle change to support my health.  I did this several years ago and lost weight and felt better.  Before you pile on with all kinds of advice, you've got problems like this too.  You've got areas in your life you know God wants to make changes, but your comfortable or don't want to risk what you know for what God promises. 
How about you?  You've wrestled with a tough decision.  You've got what you think is a Godly answer.  Is it important enough to you to get off the couch, out from behind the game console, or away from your social activities to follow in obedience?  Have you filled out your college applications?  Scholarship applications?  Unloaded the dishwasher?  Taken out the trash?  Why do you procrastinate?  Why does God or your parents have to practically beat you to take action you know you need to take.  It's easy for me to yell at you for not doing what I think is a simple thing - just get off your lazy rear end and do it!  Then God says, yeah Russ, just get off your lazy rear end and get healthy!  Ouch.  We've all sinned and fallen short and we need accountability help. 
Lord I know what I should do, but I find it so hard to just do it.  I need your help, not with my symptoms, but with my desire.  I know what is right, I just don't desire it enough to do it.  Oh God, help me with my lack of desire, my lack of discipline, and my lack of belief!

No comments: