Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Seek Him First

Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ ... But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. - Matthew 6:31,33-34

This is one of the hardest aspects of living to stay a hold.  It seems I can grasp it but I can't live it very well.  I find that I go to a point of saying "that stuff then doesn't matter" and get flippant to its regard but I think I understand Jesus' point as being quite different.  If I stop working to focus solely on God's ministry will I be neglecting my family or myself?  Do I expect God to work a miracle of provision daily or am I not doing His will in providing?  These questions are the ones I wrestle with when considering these verses.  It is easy to get confused and wrapped into a cycle of I'm not having enough faith versus I'm not hearing God's will and to finally just drop it due to a lack of clarity.

However, my understanding to this point is that Jesus is saying focus on the purposes of God in your life, focus on the Spirit dwelling inside of you and to His promptings for understanding, direction, and wisdom, focus on being and doing what He is leading you towards.  And while keeping this the center of your attention, have complete confidence that God will take care of everything else. 

The lure for people who are working furiously to succeed is that if they can just do a little bit more a little bit better a little bit faster a little bit more accurately a little bit cheaper, then they can be successful.  This work becomes their life's focus.  Everything else in life is supplementary to their work.  Their validation, their confidence, their excitement for living, their purpose is all wrapped up in this work.  God never intended for us to be given to something that is not eternal.

We are to be confident that our heavenly Father who loves us will take care of us.  He will provide for us and is in our tomorrow forevermore.  Let us focus on today and how He wants us to lean on Him and where He wants us to walk with Him.  Let us be ever mindful and our thoughts be laid at His feet this day and let Him make the work we do and the relationships we interact be blessed.

No comments: