Tuesday, May 27, 2014

For Us

IF GOD IS FOR US, WHO CAN EVER BE AGAINST US? - Romans 8:31

How do we ever forget this concept?  I so very often look at how things happen and wonder with my ever-so-tiny and very limited view of the complex interworkings of the people and events around me, not to mention all people and the universe itself, and wonder why things happen the way they do.  Tony Dungy asks "How many times have we prayed for a certain outcome, imagined that a problem has only one solution, and lost heart when that outcome or solution didn't occur?"

Yet this verse says and forevermore says, If God is for me, who can ever be against me?  Do I think that when something doesn't go the way I think it should that God has forsaken me?  By my count, God says 17 times in the Old Testament that He will not forsake us.  Not only will He not leave us to ourselves, but He is for us.  He is on our side.  Everything that happens will work out for our betterment so that we can proclaim How Great Thou Art

Dungy answers his question saying "I am reminded that in every outcome - whether it was the one I had been praying and hoping for or not - God has a good plan in place, something whereby He will be glorified."  I am reminded of the song Blessings.   That song says so much and certainly conveys the right thoughts and attitudes regarding our understanding versus His working for us.  We have to know this, not just hope for it, but know that God is on our side and does not work against us.  Any thought we have to the contrary is un-Christian and could be hypocrisy.  

Once we establish our thinking to the cause that God is for us, then we must be confident that there isn't anything in Creation that can stand against Him.  And since He is for us, then who can stand against Him within us?  What in Creation will prevent God's will for our spiritual growth, His sanctifying grace working within us?  There is nothing to stop this apart from us choosing not to accept His work in us. 

Today and forevermore God is with you and for you and will never leave you.  Know this and live!

No comments: