Thursday, May 22, 2014

Just Show Up

Jesus departed from there, skirted the Sea of Galilee, and went up on the mountain and sat down there.  Then great multitudes came to Him, having with them the lame, blind, mute, maimed, and many others; and they laid them down at Jesus’ feet, and He healed them. - Matthew 15:29-30

Tony Dungy's devotion for today is about "just showing up".  He remarks his regrets about how he allowed work to overrule his time with his family for the mundane events and how he changed as time passed.  He doesn't mention it, but in the back of my mind is his son's suicide.  I can only imagine that the regret for time lost with that son is immense.  He finishes his thoughts by saying, "Spend time with your family and loved ones - for no reason at all but to be there.  You will witness miracles you might otherwise miss forever."

I have to say I have found his findings to be true.  It is very important for me to be at home even when there is nothing going on.  Sometimes I get there and wonder why I'm there, everything is functioning fine.  I tend to think about the work I could be doing at work, but I have worked on this and now I don't think about that so much.  I do find that I tend to feel like I don't know what to do and that anything I think of isn't interaction with family (yard work, exercise, study).  But just being in sight of the kids is important I think.  It helps me maintain my priorities. 

I think of my brother through these thoughts and towards how much family time he has missed.  He has never been to any family member's weddings or funerals.  He spends three hours a day training through running or biking.  At a time of his career when he can spend the most time with his family he has effectively shunned his family and cracked it apart.  I continue to say to him it is a lack of faith on his part.  He is pursuing himself.  If anyone should know, I unfortunately and most regrettably recognize it. 

As much as I hate to type the last paragraph, I just felt it necessary to call out the two paths we all are able to choose regarding "just showing up".  God won't waste our experiences so I'm sure God will still use my brother in every way that He is allowed.  I myself am very thankful and grateful that God has allowed me to stay married to my amazing and beautiful wife and be home with my children.  He is just too good to me.  I praise God today for giving me the opportunity to "just show up".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

its so hard to watch as an outsider as a solid Christian family "cracks apart." I've been surprised at how God is using the experiences of others to set off my own internal alarm regarding how I must be on my guard against Satan. Rather than sitting in pious judgment as I would have predicted, I've been sent to my own prayer closet looking for the footholds Satan has on my own life. Not may character or nature, but must be necessary.