Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Going Home


Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. (Mark 1:35 NIV)
So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (1 Kings 3:9 NIV)
I wish I could say I had vacationed long enough and was looking forward to being home, but I have to admit that I've just gotten used to retreating into a fantasy world each day where all I have to do is be with family and find an attraction with short lines.  I'm mindful that even Jesus had to withdraw at times.  His method of recharging, however, wasn't some overblown rat, but prayer. He retreated and plugged into his real source of power. I return to some significant technical and personnel challenges at work, and will clearly need divine guidance to appropriately face and correctly address these challenges. 
The flip side is that God has placed me in a place where others go to vacation.  What an awesome blessing!  That reminds me that often we don't look at "going home" correctly.  I was reading an obituary several months ago about a wonderful Christian who had "lost" their battle with cancer.  Like being disappointed to have to "go home" to the world's most beautiful beaches, I think too often we as Christians have the wrong view of death.  For us, this is the ultimate victory.  It signifies that our race against sin, destruction, and death is over, and we have won - permanently.  I'm not wishing an untimely demise upon myself or anyone else, but I do look forward to the day that I won't have to face the raw challenges that await me at home.  Yes, the mouse has been a great distraction, but it has not recharged me, made me wiser, or given me the grace I'll need to meet the challenges that await.  I lacked the wisdom, grace, and energy I needed to find the best solutions to these thorny issues when I left, and the mouse hasn't done anything to change me or these problems.  For wisdom, power, and grace to face the challenges that await, I must cover myself with payer.

No comments: