Friday, May 30, 2014

It's Raining Again

This morning I listened to Supertramp's "It's Raining Again".  Mainly because that's the way I felt.  Then I listened to "Hang on Little Tomato" by Pink Martini.  Two completely different styles of music, but both about keeping your spirits up.  Lyrics to "It's Raining Again" say,
C'mon you little fighter
And get back up again
Oh get back up again
Fill your heart again ...

Lyrics to "Hang on Little Tomato" are all good and very poetic, and there is no specific chorus, say,
The sun has left and forgotten me
It's dark, I cannot see
Why does this rain pour down
I'm gonna drown
In a sea of deep confusion


Somebody told me, I don't know who
Whenever you are sad and blue
And you're feeling all alone and left behind
Just take a look inside you and you'll find


You gotta hold on, hold on through the night
Hang on, things will be all right
Even when it's dark
And not a bit of sparkling
Sing-song sunshine from above
Spreading rays of sunny love


Just hang on, hang on to the vine
Stay on, soon you'll be divine
If you start to cry, look up to the sky
Something's coming up ahead
To turn your tears to dew instead


And so I hold on to his advice
When change is hard and not so nice
If you listen to your heart the whole night through
Your sunny someday will come one day soon to you

Two completely different songs.  Either way, both speak to the world raining down upon us and hanging on through the night to get back up again with a full heart because if we hang on, tomorrow will be a better day.  As great as that advice is, I wonder if the world truly understands how impossible that is to do without the Spirit of God dwelling inside.

David wrote in Psalm 3:2-3, "So many say that God will never help me.  But Lord, You are my shield, my glory, and my only hope.  You alone can lift my head, now bowed in shame."  And in verse 8a he says, "Salvation belongs to the Lord.

God alone lifts our head.  I may can lift it for a while with a renewed hope, but eventually my sustainment will run out.  No matter how strong I am, at some point I will not be enough.  No matter how strong my friends or family are, at some point they will not be enough.  No matter how strong positive sayings and quotes are, at some point they will not be enough.  No matter how beautiful and inspirational nature is, at some point it will not be enough.  "God alone"  is all that will ever be enough to fill my heart and lift my head.

This salvation from the hand and heart of God belongs only to Him.  In nothing else can man find their rescue, their fulfillment, their completion.  Nowhere else can man look to be saved.  Salvation only is found in the Lord.  It is His property; His action; His character; His essence.  As Natalie Grant sings in "In Christ Alone", In Christ alone my hope is found.

No comments: