Thursday, May 8, 2014

He Created

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. - John 1:1-3

These verses are hard to handle for many people.  "In the beginning Jesus was with God and was God?  In the beginning?  Wasn't He born millennia later?  In Him all things were created?"  I can certainly understand that confusion provided someone doesn't or hasn't yet conceived the totality of who Christ is.  Jesus is God as much as God is God. 

He came and dwelled among man, something I find absolutely stunning.  As much as we teach and preach on the ascension of Jesus it is His descending that I find to be the real miracle.  I find that when I go to the homeless and poor to help or even teach I am uncomfortable and I have trouble discerning why.  I can only assume it is because I have an error in how I perceive them, looking upon the outside and not upon their humanness.  Or it is because I am intently aware that they are perceiving me as not equal to themselves and that makes me uncomfortable.  Maybe a combination of both.  But for Jesus to come to us who are spiritually bankrupt and the poorest of all poor being lost in sin and having no concept of God's realities demonstrates the greatness and power of His love for us.

In His love all things were created and are beautiful.  Today we have blue skies, green grass, colorful flowers, and mild weather.  It is very difficult to not notice the extensive beauty of His creation around us.  A week ago, in the flooding, it was much harder to see it for most people.  Likewise, when all is well in our relationships and successes it is difficult not to notice and be thankful and grateful, but in the storms it is much harder to see it.  Yet it is in that storm that we might see Him in ways we would have never seen before.  For many people, it is the only way they will ever see Him.  Jesus created all of it so that He might be seen by more better, so that we'd learn to start each day mindful that if we aren't relying upon Him then it is a lost day.

Look out today and see His beauty and know that all created things, including me, are beautiful.  God doesn't make junk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting. Mom and I were talking about how to reach out to Joanna appropriately. We're all sinners, but few of us parade our sin in public demanding the approval of others. most of us sin secretly and are embarrassed when caught. Mike had a difficult meeting with "Joanna" yesterday and upon hearing how it went I'm convinced that many are convinced God screwed up that they need to fix His mess. Wow. What a messed up world.