Monday, May 5, 2014

Cinco de Mayo!

In all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:6 NIV)

Following Russ's lead on this verse and then tying it shamefully into the Cinco de Mayo celebration I have these thoughts.

"Cinco de May is the July 4th for Mexico" I said to Jack this morning.  Independence Day.  It was a pretty cool movie really, but then I like Will Smith as an actor.  ...  Sorry, random thoughts.  We all value our independence and of extreme importance to a nation, to a people, is the day they won their independence from their slavery to the commands of a king, as in America, or a master, as in the black slaves in America, or in the case of Mexico, their victory over French forces in the Battle of Puebla (according to Wikipedia).  So, what I told Jack this morning shows my ignorance.  Mexico's independence day is September 16.  This will not, however, disturb my thought process regarding independence day.  I will continue in my ignorance for the remainder of this blog entry.  ...  Sorry, those dang random thoughts keep jumping around ... kind of like Mexican jumping beans ... aaagghh, just can't get these things to settle down!

The important aspect or reminder to me as a Christian is to acknowledge my independence day.  As a Christian, our independence day was when Jesus resurrected.  Then death was defeated and a life everlasting with God could be had!  There can be no greater Independence Day!  As a person in Christ, my independence day was when I first believed in Jesus as the Son of God.  That is my independence day.  And that is the day that gave me life.  That is the day I was freed from the evil king of this world who works tirelessly to destroy me, cheat me, steal from me, and to confuse me.  My independence day is the day I met my Savior who conquers all and who will never stop loving me.

When I submitted to God in belief, I was to submit in all my ways acknowledging that He knows better.  Who better than God can know which way is better for me to go?  Do I consider that I do?  Do I consider that the world does?  Do I consider the evil king of the world would?  Of course not!  I am independent of the world, a citizen of heaven.  God alone knows what is best for me and where my path should be.  I am to "walk" with Him on His path for me.

Praise God for my independence!!  May I never take it for granted.

No comments: