Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Follow Me.

As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth.“Follow Me,” He told him, and Matthew got up and followed Him. - Matthew 9:9

At this point in Jesus' ministry He had healed many, restored people from demon possession, calmed the storm, and taught many new things.  I don't know what kind of buzz was surrounding Him when He walked into Matthew's town, but I assume there were people beyond the disciples following Him. 

I have always been amazed that when He simply said these two words to the disciples they dropped everything they were doing and latched on.  Wow.  Today, this very moment, right now, if Jesus walked into the building then looked and me and said "Follow Me", would I drop everything and go?  Would I say to Him I need to go tell my wife goodbye first and hug the kids?  Would I say I need to pack some things?  If I did I know He would reply as He did in Matthew chapter 8:22 with "Let the dead bury their own dead."  "Follow Me" He said to that disciple but that disciple walked away.

Jesus is making a very clear statement regarding the scale of our perception of what following Him means.  There is no equivalence.  His imperative statement is a command and anything that impairs it is against Him.  Against Him!  How can I be against my savior?  Simply by not following first.  Don't think back, don't say your what-ifs, don't wonder about where you're going, don't consider who will care for whom, simply follow first.

"Costly grace is the treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will gladly go and sell all that he has.  It is the pearl of great price to buy which the merchant will sell all his goods.  It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble, it is the call of Jesus Christ at which the disciple leaves his nets and follows Him." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Similarly, Kyle Idleman asks in his book Not a Fan, "When is the last time following Jesus cost you something?"  

"Follow Me" Jesus instructs.  When I seriously envision that command to me and analyze my heart, do I only think of following immediately or do I think of any other single thing?  I must know my heart's response or examine why it isn't an immediate "Yes" to follow with no consideration for anything else.  I must reexamine my response every morning when I wake up.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can remember being at a gas station in Mobile with the kids when they were still very small. A kind of scary looking man started quickly approaching the van and as he did, I told Reed "Stay in the van and lock the doors.". There was no time for questioning or disobedience. Thankfully, he did just as I asked him to do. If that man had bad intentions and Reed hadn't listened, things could have gotten ugly fast. I imagine if Jesus says to us "Follow me" (or any other command), we need to be obedient first. We should trust Him and know Him well enough to know it's for our own good even if we don't understand.