Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Adding Value to Others (Part II)

We add value to others when we truly value them.

If you don’t value people, you can’t represent Christ. This goes right to the core of who we are and what we believe. If you don’t truly value them, you can never add value to them. You will use them, you will manipulate them, you’ll take advantage of them, you’ll use them to step on to go higher, and will even take them along with you as long as you think you can use them.

Remember, you manipulate people when you use them for your advantage; you motivate them when you move them for mutual advantage.

Lornie Santi said, “There are 3 reasons you are important to God:
     1.  Because of who you are.
     2.  Because of what you cost.
     3.  Because of what you can become.


We must value people if we wish to be more like Jesus Christ. This morning, as I prayed to God, He did three things that we must emulate:
He listened to me. 
The Creator of the universe took the time to listen to my cry. He didn’t say that He was to busy at the moment and ask me to call again later; He listened right then and there. God knows all about me. He knows me better than I know me. He is interested in me. He listens to me. 

We need to learn to listen to others. This is a very hard concept. Remember the show Andy Griffith where they would sit on the front porch and talk? I think we need more of that in our lives. We have watched TV for so long now that we have let it train our brains to look for a change in scenery every 10 seconds and a change in topic every 10 minutes. I have learned that I have to consciously make my eyes focus. After 30 seconds they start looking around, looking for a change in scenery. We have to learn how to listen to others the way God listens to us: with caring and patience.

Why does God listen to me? Because this morning …
He loved me. 
I told God all the horrible thoughts I’ve had and the sins I’ve committed and He loved me – He forgave them on the spot. My friend, God loves you more than you can ever know. Here is a statement that you need to remember for the rest of your life. You might want to write it down. THERE IS NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER DONE OR WILL EVER DO THAT WILL CAUSE GOD TO LOVE YOU ANY LESS.

It is my hope to one day be able to love everyone so much that I’ll forgive them before they ever do a single thing. Sometimes I remind myself when I meet someone, “This person will probably do something to hurt you one day, forgive them now.” Why do I have to tell myself this? I have to because I have a tendency to put walls up all around me and keep people away at a distance. You see, like you, I’ve been hurt before. And unknowingly I unconsciously learned that if I don’t let people too close they won’t hurt me.

But this is not the example given to us by Christ. He opens Himself up to us. He wants us to know Him better. And He stands at the door and knocks at our hearts. We have to love others. And that means we have to open up our hearts to them and be willing to forgive.
He lifted me. 
Just by having a close prayer with God lifts my Spirit. My heart jumps for joy. Just being in His presence brings joy and peace and it makes me smile. It lifts my soul off this old world and puts it near Him. He confirms all that He is in a simple conversation and uplifts everything that I am.

No comments: