Thursday, September 11, 2014

Psalms 4 (Part IV)

There are many who say,
“Who will show us any good?”
Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us.

This is the people in David's day saying, "What have you done for me lately?"  And somehow we think man is smarter and more advanced than man of thousands of years past.  The people are almost saying, what side should I be with?  "Who will bring us prosperity?" the NIV says.  I am confounded by the uneducation in the actions of God for a people whose only education is in God and His actions to them, the Israelites. 

I hate to keep comparing them to America today, but isn't this the same constant question to the political parties?  Isn't this what motivates most people's vote?  I'd love to say that we were a Christian nation and voted on the values and character of the candidate, but for the average voter it's really upon the perception of what the candidate can do for them.  Here David is, obviously having had the hand of God upon his life having done great and miraculous things, having restored Israel, and yet the people are asking, "What have you done for me lately?"  "Who should we trust to bring us prosperity?"  The short-sidedness of only seeing physical things is the greatest veil for fooling people, and we are all suspect to it in one way or another.

David responds spiritually to the physically minded people.  "Lord, lift up the light of Your countenance upon us."  Just the impact of the Lord's look upon them will change them and they will know Who it is that has their best interest.  A simple gaze towards them from the Lord will penetrate all and force righteousness in character, peace of mind, and depth of heart to know God is the only living true God and they have no need for anything else.  May the living Lord also let the light of His face shine upon us today!

You have put gladness in my heart,
More than in the season that their grain and wine increased.
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

The only true joy that feeds and satisfies the soul is from God and it is God Himself.  No material thing will ever sufficiently fill our "need" box.  May we rest peacefully in the midst of trials knowing that we are satisfied in the fulfillment of our Lord.  That He is truly all we need.  In no other way can we rest soundly, at peace, and in security.  It is important for us to stay focused on the reality of God.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
     If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
     May angels watch me through the night, and wake me with the morning light.

I wonder if this traditional childhood prayer has its roots in the thoughts of David.  Where his peaceful sleep here in Psalms 4 and back in chapter 3 represent confidence, trust, and faith in his Lord.  Say the prayer while thinking of being in the middle of a civil war and family feud where the people are losing their grasp on all that God has done for them.  ...  How's your faith?  How well do you let God have your problems?

No comments: