Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Work

2 Thessalonians 3:10  For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Work.  It's a four letter word that I thank you for not using in my presence! 
I know that we're to work hard and with a great deal of integrity: Colossians 3:23  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.  But that's not today's issue.
I've been blessed to have the best job the Air Force has to offer.  I've also been in some terrible situations in spite of what sounded on the surface like a fantastic job.  I've discovered that the difference is the people involved.  While the opportunities that the job offers are compelling, its the people that make the job enjoyable or painstaking work.  The attitude, aptitude, and effort of coworkers can turn a incredible job into awful work, or turn the worst job into a blessing. 
I'm reminded that I can help set the tone at work.  Whether I'm facing great trials or fantastic opportunities, I'm compelled to do so with a positive attitude.  1 Thes 5 puts it this way:
12 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, to acknowledge those who work hard among you, who care for you in the Lord and who admonish you. 13 Hold them in the highest regard in love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not treat prophecies with contempt 21 but test them all; hold on to what is good, 22 reject every kind of evil.
My question is always "how?"  Nehemia 8:10 reminds us that the source of our joy is the Lord! 
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go.  With a song on my lips and joy in my heart because I know that my God who is faithful, knows I've been brought to it and will see me through it! 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Ahhh, the busybody. At least that is the word the NKJV and NIV use to describe the one who won't work. Many a worker has perfected the art of "looking" busy but doing nothing. I think it is a terrible burden for any person to bear. They need the money and security offered by the job, but their heart is just not in the job. I think we've had a few staff workers at the church who have even been affected by this condition (maybe even the former pastors). Part of me wants to believe that such a person has lost their God-given purpose. That if they had that purpose directly before them, they would work diligently with determination. But, part of me thinks man is just lazy. Maybe its a combination of the two.