Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Hope

Psalms 121: I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

One of my (many) problems is that I have so few real life-threatening problems.  It's tempting to get up and go through my day without turning to God as my source of everything.  He made me quite capable and I can do so much without consulting, relying, or turning to Him.  Intellectually I know I need to turn to God, but its so tempting to treat God as an emergency service with an attitude like "God, you're so busy, I don't want to bother you" and then when things spiral out of control, simply throw up a 9-1-1 prayer that starts out with an "Oh God!" 
I'm not craving life-threatening problems, but I do crave the kind of faith that truly and daily fully relies on God for everything.  For my performance at work, for my interactions and service in my church, in my relationships especially at home and with my wife.  I know I should, but like exercise, I simply lack discipline to (as the old hymn reminds us) rigorously take everything to the Lord in prayer. 
I pray that as I go about each activity today from reading and responding to email to service in church, may I FROG (Fully Rely On God) and listen for and follow His direction rather than making this stuff up as I go along. 

No comments: