Thursday, September 25, 2014

How do I know?

Psalm 119:125  I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
 
Our church has been presented with what at least on the surface appears to be a tremendous opportunity to augment our income via and investment in a retirement home.  I don't have the details, but after considerable research, our finance committee was compelled to bring a motion to the administrative board to get permission to approach Charge Conference with an actual investment proposal.  The short pitch by Finance was enthusiastically received and the motion unanimously passed.  I admit, however, I was left with more questions than answers, so when the voice vote was called I neither voted for nor against it.  I simply silently abstained as I have no discernment on this issue.  I didn't want to vote against it as I didn't want others to take a negative vote as me being against this opportunity.  I didn't want to vote in favor as I couldn't discern if this opportunity is of God or man.  I just don't know.  
So now, I'm left with a bigger problem (at least to me).  I've prayed about this opportunity and discussed it with others.  Others have asked questions like "is this not abandonment of faith that God will equip us where He has called us?" or "is this a mission, if not, why are we involved?" and "this could be a problem for a non-profit to enter into to a business for the sake of profit."  My problem is that I pray and I get...nothing.  I have no discernment.  I talk to people who are giddy about the opportunity.  I already mentioned those who have prayed and have questions that deserve answers.  I have - nothing.  I find this deeply troubling because after all, John 8:47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” 
I don't doubt my salvation, there is simply too much evidence of God in my life to give into that lie by Satan.  Yet, why can my mother, or other women pray and get very strong discernment almost immediately on issues and I cannot?  Am I simply not listening?
I've worked on this issue for many years, even taking and teaching a study directly speaking to this very issue called "Experiencing God - Knowing and Doing His Will"  I teach Sunday School trying to encourage the kids to listen for God to speak through Scripture, prayer, circumstances, and other Christians.  I pray and I don't get a clear answer.  I search scripture on this issue and find no guidance for or against a church making an investment (although I do find lots of references to rely on God).  The circumstances seem to point to perhaps God "opening a door." 
How do you discern God's will in a matter such as this?  It seems that we as a church need to be united as a body going forward and I don't want to be guilty of disunity.  How do I know?  How do I discern God's will in this matter?  Who will mentor me through this?

No comments: