Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thorn in the flesh

2 Cor 12:  Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


I don't know about you, but when I've got a "thorn in the flesh," I'm a lousy patient.  I tweaked my back yesterday (I wish I could tell you I saved a puppy from 8 lanes of high speed traffic, as the dropped soap in the shower seems so wimpy...) and was hurting so that I left work at noon.  I rarely miss work due to illness or aches and pains, so to do so is a big deal.  I really don't endure these things well at all. 
Learning to submit to the love and assistance of others is difficult for me.  I'm grumpy, irritable, and generally not fit to be around even when people want to help.  I'm not that person that needs help, I'm the help-giver.  Needing help makes me angry.  People offering assistance out of love and concern makes me angry.  Yeah, I'm that warped.  Chris calls it insanity and I believe he's pegged it. 
I believe God expects us to endure these "thorns of the flesh" to learn how to accept love in its many forms.  A sore back isn't life threatening and I know in just a few short days, I'll feel better.  I have hope!  Others I know are suffering from life-threatening illnesses.  Intellectually I know they should have hope, but I wonder how I would respond if in their situation.  Would I have the hope I expect them to have?  My current response to a sore back would indicate I'm incapable of dealing with any real "thorn in the flesh."
May I learn to stand on His promise of sufficiency and learn to endure these "thorns" with grace and joy.  May those close to me forgive me of my attitude. 

No comments: