Thursday, February 27, 2014

Words

My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.  For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.  - James 3:1-2 (NIV)

Don’t be in any rush to become a teacher, my friends. Teaching is highly responsible work. Teachers are held to the strictest standards. And none of us is perfectly qualified. We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths. If you could find someone whose speech was perfectly true, you’d have a perfect person, in perfect control of life. - James 3:1-2 (Message)

I find these Bible verses difficult to understand completely.  I think I understand verse two as it discusses that words "bridle the whole body" or "in perfect control of life".  Although I think the Message's language is extremely strong.  The following verses 3-12 here in James discuss how something small like a bridle on a horse or a ship's rudder can control a large thing.  He also discusses how a small flame can cause a raging forest fire.  From these examples I can reason who important words coming from such a small thing as our tongue are extremely important.

James goes on to point out that what comes out of the mouth show what is inside the heart.  So, what I am further reasoning here is that if a person can control their words, then that is a very self-disciplined person (one of the fruits of the Spirit), able to control what comes out of their heart and if that person is a righteous person, then no impure or unclean thing would be in their words.  May I continue to work diligently at this effort, not to control my speech, but more importantly to have a pure heart so my speech only shows the love and compassion of Jesus for others in my heart.

The first verse in these texts is such a strong warning for teachers that I find myself suddenly nervous about being a teacher.  The following of the verse on words to this warning for teachers shows me how serious God considers false teachers.  "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Jesus says in Matthew 18:6.  2 Peter 2 speaks about false prophets and teachers and the language is very strong and I fear over whether I have ever taught an improper Bible doctrine.

Interestingly, I find the verse demeanor a little forgiving also.  "Teachers are held to the strictest standards.  And none of us is perfectly qualified."  This is the 'ol I know you're not perfect, but you better be trying to be talk.  There is forgiveness in it, but at the same time there is a high expectation for the work.

I find this to be very convicting and challenging.  First, my words need to reflect my heart and my heart needs to be refined daily, hourly, even minute-by-minute to the calling of Jesus, my Lord.  Second, my teachings need to be taken sincerely and with an utmost care for the words that are spoken.  This calling and use of a gift should be seen as a divine appointment.

No comments: