Monday, February 24, 2014

February 21, 2014

As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. - Proverbs 27:17

"We get to choose what type of teammate we want to be. ... Be intentional in finding ways to bring out the best in those you are in contact with on a regular basis." - Tony Dungy

Jim Hammond.  His name stands out to me because he is this type of person.  He emits joyous, infectious emotion and elevates those around him.  I want to be like that and it is very difficult for me.  It simply doesn't feel natural to me.  I pray that I'll find a way, that God will show me a way to be more like that.  I want to become a natural encourager and a person who lifts those around me.

On another side of this verse as it relates to marriage.  Why is it that when our wife, who is our close friend, is that teammate who "sharpens" us we men bristle at it and even react negatively in a strong manner?  I pray that I'm over this in my life and I am very sensitive to my reaction and how I accept it, but for so long I had such a hard time accepting that.  And I know I'm not the only one, I've talked to many men who have similar problems with their wives.  I have learned that my wife only does this because she loves me and wants the best for me.  I have no idea why that was so hard to accept for so long.

No comments: