Thursday, February 27, 2014

Feb 27

James 3:2  For we all often stumble and fall and offend in many things. And if anyone does not offend in speech [never says the wrong things], he is a fully developed character and a perfect man, able to control his whole body and to curb his entire nature. (AMP)
 
When asked about his dedication to Christ, former President Jimmy Carter, pointed to those working around him and referred the inquirer to them stating that his actions bore better witness than his words about himself.  How about me?  Would those who know me, see my life, my reactions to others, my language as reflecting a vibrant relationship with Christ?  How about you?  Would your friends say that you are the same person Monday - Saturday that you parade on Sundays and maybe Wednesday nights? 
 
As a young father I knew I had to control my language for what comes out of a fathers mouth (and heart!) will almost always come out of his children.  I had allowed the behavior of others (in this case coworkers - it seems Air Force people are competing with the Navy for the foul language award) to influence me.  So I began to work hard to control my language and even let my kids help hold be accountable by charging me a quarter for bad words.  In so doing, I made myself a "slave to the law" relying on my own strength to change what had become a bad habit.  After several years, however, I had to learn that habits are hard to break, but all things are possible with God.  Freeing myself from the law, I began to focus on yielding my tongue to God.  He changed my language and showed my in my own life the value of yielding to His control as conquering a bad habit was quite straightforward to God. 
 
Taking that to the next level, I've got to give God my attitudes.  Bad language is bad enough, but Jesus is just as concerned about what is in our hearts - what motivates our behavior.  In fact, what James is really talking about is how we treat people.  Do we respond to them in ways other than how Christ would respond.  I noticed that as I yield to Christ, he not only has conquered bad habits, but has really changed my character allowing me to look at people different from me with real, genuine concern where I used to look upon them with judgment.  I'm not perfect yet in this regard, but I do recognize and genuinely feel a change. 
 
How about you?  Is Christ in charge, or do you just attend church for the social benefits and run your life as you see fit?  Are you so desperate for friends that you would allow your language and very morals be compromised in the name of companionship?  Are you allowing Christ to control your very attitudes, thoughts, and therefore your words and language or do you simply give "lip service" to Jesus (see what I did there?)? 
 
 

No comments: