Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Feb 18

Acts 20: 22 And now, you see, I am going to Jerusalem, bound by the [Holy] Spirit and obligated and compelled by the [convictions of my own] spirit, not knowing what will befall me there 23 Except that the Holy Spirit clearly and emphatically affirms to me in city after city that imprisonment and suffering await me. 24 But none of these things move me; neither do I esteem my life dear to myself, if only I may finish my course with joy and the ministry which I have obtained from [which was entrusted to me by] the Lord Jesus, faithfully to attest to the good news (Gospel) of God’s grace (His unmerited favor, spiritual blessing, and mercy). (AMP)
 
I wonder how often we miss God's call when we perceive danger or personal risk and then rationalize by thinking that God loves me and wouldn't call me to something that costly.  Clearly Paul either had an irrationally low amount of fear or uncommon faith.  While I may not be called to bear the physical torture and death Paul did, I am called to represent Christ everywhere I go and with everyone with whom I come in contact.  I wonder if my coworkers would say that I am clearly a Christian and their lives are enriched by knowing me or not? 
 
I also find that the dialogue in today's church fails to acknowledge God's ultimate victory.  The other day, for instance I heard someone say that a person had "lost their battle with cancer."  My Dad had cancer and I've always viewed his death as ultimate victory over a terrible disease.  He is clearly not suffering and he didn't have to put up with years of torment by ingesting poisons in hopes of killing cancer cells.  Instead, a merciful God granted him a shortened battle and ultimate victory over this world.  We are not people of this world.  While here, we have a mission to "store up treasures in heaven."  I've always believed that if the streets are paved with gold, treasure as we understand it on earth has no purpose in Heaven.  Instead the treasures scripture refers to are the souls of others with whom God calls us to share the Good News of Christ.  I wonder when God holds me accountable some day if he finds my witness bold and declarative or shy and retreating?  To hide behind my own salvation with the attitude of "I've got mine, you all are on your own" is the ultimate in dereliction of duty.
 
Lord let me face today with courage and joy knowing that you hold my future and ultimately it is with you.  May I live with the certainty that there is nothing that these in this world can do to endanger that victory you have already won.   

1 comment:

Chris said...

"May I live with the certainty that there is nothing that these in this world can do to endanger that victory you have already won." Awesome sentence and mindset. This must be our objective every day.