Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Root of the Problem - Part II

So, in part I of this thought discussion I said "I choose Jesus".  Am I sure?  Jesus is clear about what that means.

Then He said to them all: “Whoever wants to be My disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow Me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for Me will save it.  What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?" - Luke 9:23-25

There is some strong language in that.  "Take up their cross daily and follow Me" and "to save their life will lose it".  Granted this is only for the person who wants to follow Jesus.  The first question is "Do I want to follow Jesus?"  Since I answered yes then the next question becomes "Am I sure?"  Jesus is clearly indicated some kind of sacrifice is required, but what exactly?

The phrases "deny themselves" and "lose their life" is clearly indicating a sacrifice of myself.  But not all of myself as a suicide, but acknowledgment that there are many, many pieces and parts of my conscious, emotional health, desires, goals, pursuits, dreams, thoughts, and soul that I need to be willing to sacrifice.  In essence, anything that I am clinging onto as "my precious", to claim a Lord Of The Ring phrase.  If there is any part of me that has not been developed and molded by Jesus then it must be sacrificed, lost, and denied.  If it has been created by me or by someone else, its not worthy of His call. 

By doing this we will follow Him and save our life.  No manager wants a part-time employee, no coach wants a part-time player, no friend wants a part-time friend, and no spouse wants a part-time spouse.  If we being evil understand an uncommitted heart, how much more does our Lord, the Creator, understand this!  He wants our heart to be committed, not part-time and not sitting on the fence.  Believe in Him or don't but don't pretend to do one or the other!

I said "I choose Jesus".  And yes, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent two - part devo.