Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Comforter

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
- Psalms 46:1

I sought the Lord, and He answered me;
    He delivered me from all my fears.
- Psalms 34:4

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
    He delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
- Psalms 34:17-18

Too many times, it seems, have I had to cry out for rescue.  But then, the wisest thoughts I can muster tell me I haven't cried out enough times. 

God is my safe haven.  A missionary friend of mine once told me that when life was shooting its arrows and collapsing all around me that I should just visualize myself as a small bird, and to just scoot myself back under the safe and warm wings of my mother bird (God) who would protect me and keep me safe.  Just get under those wings and keep my head down.  I have always remembered him for that.

God is an always help, not a sometimes help.  It is here that doubts creep in and disturb me.  The world is collapsing and I am desperate for help but I don't see any real intervention.  Here is where I have to make a choice, do I believe that God is not helping and not there OR do I believe that He is always there and this is a part of His help.  It is always a faith issue.  Jesus said to ask, believing.  I ask knowing He is there and believing that whatever the answer or help is, it is the right help.  "I sought the Lord, and He answered me" David testifies.  He is always present and always on my side.

"He delivers" me from my fears and from my troubles.  The One who loves me enough to provide a way from my sins never does not love me.  What greater fear or trouble can I have beyond eternal separation from Him?  He has already delivered me!  If I am filled with gratefulness and thankfulness, by comparison to this deliverance, what fear or trouble is relevant today?  By comparison to an eternal salvation, what fear or trouble can He not deliver me from? 

But our loving Lord doesn't stop with just being a safe haven, answering us when we seek Him, and delivering us, He pulls close to us when we are broken-hearted and our spirits are crushed.  He comforts and consoles us and is the closest friend we can have who cares for us more than any other.  May I find a way to be as He is to those around me.

No comments: