Friday, April 4, 2014

C'mon. Seriously?

But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. - Luke 6:27-28

I like Tony Dungy's comments on this verse. "C'mon. Seriously?  If Jesus told me I could choose which of His teachings I didn't have to follow, this would easily make the list.

If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. - Luke 6:32-35

Ouch!  Again, I defer to Tony's thoughts.  "The truth is, how many of us have problems loving the people who love us all the time?  We hold grudges against them, fail to forgive them, get angry, and refuse to pray for them.  So if we can't even love those who love us, do good to those who do good to us, or pray for those who pray for us, how in the world are we going to love, do good to, and pray for those who don't do any of those things?"

I think he is very insightful in that commentary.  Jesus in His teaching is giving us the benefit of the doubt that we love those who love us and do good to those who do good to us.  But oh how we fail at even that!  That thought is like a sledge hammer to the forehead.  What a depraved person I am!  I don't even measure up to the beginning of the teaching so how can I possibly make it to the goal of the teaching?  "How in the  world" Tony asks.  It's not in this world; He is out-of-this-world.  Only God can rule my heart and lead me to this.

Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. - Luke 6:36

As a Christian, I should be an extension of God's grace and mercy.  As God has extended His grace and mercy to me, so should I extend it to everyone around me.  Not because they deserve it, I certainly don't deserve His, but because that shows the character of God.  I cannot demonstrate Him to others in any higher form than this.  Only by relating to a personal demonstration of extended grace and mercy here in this world will some people ever be able to understand God's extension of grace and mercy.

Have you ever forgave a large debt to someone who didn't deserve it?  What if they even didn't ask to be forgiven?  Jesus did.  Have you ever been kind to someone?  What if they were cursing you while you helped them?  Jesus did.  Have you ever loved someone?  What if they hated you and plotted against you while you loved them?  Jesus did.

I find myself in a deep reflection of awe at the depth of Jesus ...  and in a sense of wonder in why I am so unwilling to accept some of these concepts while being so needy for them.  What a hypocrite I am!  I pray that God would slay my resistance to being able to embody His nature.

Matthew Ayars says in his post, The Psalms: Wounded Healing, "Healing and redemption always comes through suffering—this is one of the central dimensions of biblical soteriology (understanding of salvation). That salvation always comes through pain. If this were not the case, the Cross is unnecessary. So often we’re ready, poised to bear our cross for the deliverance of another. The question to ask, however, is are you ready to bear the pain of your deepest self before the Holy One for the sake of healing? Perhaps we have the faith, but lack the courage. He who brings healing also offers courage and strength."  

Well, am I?  Am I willing to be healed so that I can accept Him fully and have the ability to show grace and mercy to the extent that He did?

No comments: