Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Apr 15

Matt 22:  17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?” 18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?” 21 “Caesar’s,” they replied. Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.” 22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away. (NIV)

Tax Day, Ugh.  I hate the whole process of how we pay taxes.  I'm very fortunate that Reja has the patience to wade through thousands of pages of law and instructions to figure out how to take the appropriate deductions to reduce our tax burden.  I'm not even organized enough to fill out the receipts from Waterfront Rescue, so we have at least two loads of charitable contributions that cannot be deducted because I didn't fill out the form. 
Worse, I hate where some of my tax money is spent.  Subsidies for those "less fortunate" are very necessary and I like the fact that our society is benevolent.  Unfortunately, however, we've developed a trend of pursuing votes through government dependency which dooms our nation to a slow, painful economic death.  How do I know we're doomed?  Because scripture says "For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” (2 Thes 3:10) and I know that nothing separate from God can last.  
I wish we could simplify government and taxes by simply going to a flat tax or a consumer tax, but I'm afraid that politicians have discovered that we are easily manipulated by the laws they pass.  As I age, I become more and more angry about this manipulation, but feel helpless to do anything about it other than rant.  I'm only somewhat comforted by the knowledge that in the end, God wins.  I'm afraid that end may be very painful if not for me, for my kids. 
Regardless, my job according to Christ, is to obey the authorities over me.  So, I filed my taxes and I'm heading off to work.  As I do so, I pray that somehow I can be a force of change.  I don't want to beat people into submission (although it somehow seems easier...), but I do want people to wake up to the truth that God expects us to work.  What are you doing today to earn your next meal?  Are you applying yourself to school, work, and assigned chores, or are you content to be spoiled by your parents?  If you really read this, leave me a comment!

No comments: