Monday, April 7, 2014

Apr 7

John 14: 27 Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.] (AMP)
 
How does one measure "Peace?"  I can remember praying for the peace only God can provide when my Dad got sick and ultimately died.  I received that peace immediately and never doubted God's love or good intentions for all of us.  That is divine peace - a peace I could not conjure up on my own.  Currently, however, work is stressing me out.  I've got a lot to do, cannot get it all done, and can tell people are noticing and are disappointed in my performance both superiors and subordinates.  Yet, I simply have no more to give.  I'm tapped out.  Empty.  I'm not at peace at all when it comes to work.  
 
So what's the difference?  In my Dad's case, I knew there was nothing I could do to "fix" him.  Therefore, giving that problem to God was simple and straightforward.  I prayed like I've never prayed before and had no problem letting God work as He saw fit.  My job, however, is different.  I have a role.  I have things I must and can do.  I pray for God's leadership and direction, but when I get to work, my mind is racing with all I've got to do and my neck is so tense I live with an unconquerable (at least with over-the-counter meds) tension head and back ache all day.  When I come home, I'm grumpy and irritable taking out numerous frustrations on innocent family and friends.  So why is it so hard for me to find peace in the midst of the "storm" of work?  
I'm convinced that my methods must be at fault.  I'm not making God Lord over my work.  Although I pray for leadership, wisdom, knowledge, direction, and for my efforts to glorify Him, I must be casting aside His lordship over each individual task, conversation, meeting, and controversial issue.  
 
I note with interest that Jesus promises to leave us His peace, but it comes with a command to "Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  It is obvious to me that my stress is symptomatic of a failure to obey.  I've let my heart and my body become overwhelmed by the task at hand.  It's time to quit trying to work so hard, and try harder to simply trust Him.  Trust Him that He will enable me to complete whatever task He deems important and that He will inspire me with the answers, direction, responses, and products that He needs me to provide.  Stress is a witness to fear of failure, to fear of harm, or to a lack of trust.  It is not from God.  It is from my sin nature which I am commanded to conquer, yet I am completely and utterly unable. 
1 Peter 5:Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [[a]in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset—rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined], knowing that the same ([b]identical) sufferings are appointed to your brotherhood (the whole body of Christians) throughout the world. (AMP)
 
Today I vow to pray over every new task, encounter, and event.  Instead of trying to work harder, I vow to pray harder.  

2 comments:

Chris said...

"I've got a lot to do, cannot get it all done, and can tell people are noticing and are disappointed in my performance both superiors and subordinates. Yet, I simply have no more to give. I'm tapped out. Empty."

Frodo said in the Lord Of The Rings, "I will take the Ring though I do not know the way." We too, must be willing and able to let go of what we are holding onto and "take the ring". Our ring is the acceptance that "It must be Jesus or nothing." We must declare in our hearts that not only can we not do it ourselves, but that we don't want to be a part of it if He is not leading it. A knight only follows His King.

Are you willing to accept Jesus or nothing even though it might cost you your career or your very life? What do you hold more dear than the attitude of Jesus or nothing? Is it self-reliance?

"Stress is a witness to fear of failure, to fear of harm, or to a lack of trust." That there is Wisdom. Truly you should be thankful that this has been revealed to you. Do you not trust in the God who made time? Men? Material? Of course you do! But are you willing to accept an answer of "No"? Or "not this way"?

Yet, what is even more important than work that is lacking? What are you being directed to do spiritually, personally, relationally that you are neglecting? This is where you start. Do these commands. "Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect". Home must be where your heart is. There will always be work.

Unknown said...

Good stuff. Too much self reliance, not enough FROG