Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Apr 1

Psalm 46:God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
 
I've noticed that when it comes time for prayer requests, the focus is always on the sick and the dead.  Why?  I'm convinced it's because these are things over which we have little or no control.  Therefore, we want our creator to handle these things for us.  Otherwise, we want to handle things on our own.  It is very infrequent that I hear someone say, "I'm struggling with this person and we need prayer."  Or, "I struggle with this sin and I need your prayerful support and accountability."  Or even, "I'm struggling with my parents or my kids, or my neighbors."  I usually don't ask for prayer for at least two reasons, one is I don't want to bother people with my little issues and two, I don't want to bother God with them either.  Just wait, however, until I get sick or someone near to me gets sick or is in the hospital and I dial up that 9-1-1 prayer that starts out "Oh GOD help me!"
It's so good to know that God isn't just our refuge in times of trouble that is beyond our control, but at all times.  The Psalmist says that God is "ever-present."  How awesome is it to know that God cares about even the most miniscule issue in our lives.  In Matthew 6 Jesus tells us that he clothes the flowers and feeds the birds - how much more must God care for us!  I pray that I'm not just a 9-1-1 Christian that looks to God to recover when things are beyond my control, but that I'm a full-time Christian constantly turning to Him for guidance and "ever-present help" at ALL times.   

No comments: