Monday, March 31, 2014

The Root of the Problem - Part I

10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them.”  ...

15 Peter said, “Explain the parable to us.”

16 Are you still so dull?” Jesus asked them. 17 Don’t you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. 19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20 These are what defile a person; but eating with unwashed hands does not defile them. - Matthew 10-11, 15-20

Jesus is addressing the source of all misdeeds.  "For out of the heart" He refers "come evil thoughts" and "these are what defile a person."  Have I ever wondered why I can't overcome something in my life?  Maybe since childhood I've known about a heightened sensitivity in an area that I am susceptible.  I've battled it my whole life leaving a wake of broken hearts in my path including my own, but yet there it is and I cannot overcome it.  What is it?  It is my sin nature and I inherited it from Adam and Eve.

It's in my heart and no matter how hard I try to overcome it, it eventually overcomes me.  The things that come out of it disgust me when I'm in my right mind, but when that sin nature is ruling I revel in them.  Who says they are incapable of murder, adultery, lying, hating?  Only a fool who thinks he can rule the sin nature.  No man ever has or ever will. 

Why did Jesus come?  He came to provide a way for man to be rescued from his own heart.  Yes, there are many good things in our hearts, but no matter how hard we work there will always be that sin nature.  We all take and eat of the forbidden fruit.  Only God the Creator could possible make a way to recreate us, and only the God who loves us would not force it on us, but let us choose to be recreated.  Jesus Christ provides that way but we must choose to believe in Him. 

Every day we must choose that our only source of life is Christ.  Our every day, hour, minute must be a decision that it must be Jesus or nothing.  It is Jesus or it is sin ruling me.  May I choose Jesus now.  This is far too crucial to put off.  It is not a diet or exercise plan that I will start tomorrow.  My choice simply can't wait that long, somebody else's heart is in danger of being crushed from my inability to choose Jesus today, right now.  I choose Jesus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I needed this today - Russ 4/2/2014