Friday, March 14, 2014

Mar 14

Proverbs 4: 14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, do not go on it; turn from it and pass on. (AMP)
 
Tony Dungee talks about the importance of always coaching, even when winning.  He explains that coaching is a job of "death by inches" wherein often during a winning streak the coaching staff would let little details slide without correction as long as the team was winning.  But then, the little mistakes became the norm and suddenly the team wasn't winning and there was so much that needed to be fixed.  Our lives are no different.  I've seen some people who get off track by making huge mistakes; sort of a ninety degree turn right out of God's will.  By far though, especially in my life, I experience "death by inches" where small, seemingly minor mistakes or calculated disobedience becomes accepted behavior.  Soon thereafter it becomes comfortable leading to another seemingly minor bad decision and then I find myself outside of the life I know God wants me to lead. 
Satan is insidious.  He finds seemingly minor cracks in our defenses and wedges himself in making change seemingly impossible.  Fortunately, God places himself in us and promises that His grace is sufficient (2 Cor 12:9).  The question is do we really believe that claim?  Do we believe God is sufficient in our lives to overcome the temptation of the evil one?  Do we care?  Do we think that todays "happiness" can be overcome or corrected by obedience tomorrow? 
Spring break & Mardi Gras especially reminds me of just how off-guard we are to Satan.  We think that a little debauchery can be simply forgiven with confession tomorrow.  That coupled with the naïve fearlessness of youth results in so many unnecessary tragedies.  How God must long to capture our full attention and call us into the fullness of life only He knows we can be through Him. 
Today I pray first for myself that I would die to my selfish desires and truly yearn only to be centered in His will.  Secondly, I pray for all teenagers and young adults in my life (and beyond) that believe that a little sin will bring them no harm.  May God's mercy cover them all with a supernatural hedge of physical, mental, and emotional protection and may His spirit call us all into a more passionate life lived in His likeness.