Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Mar 26

James 1: 26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. (NIV)

Our mouths get us in trouble in many ways.  Sometimes it's foul language.  Other times its disrespect to those in positions of authority over us like our parents, teachers, coaches, or bosses.  Often it is gossip or foul talk of others around us.  There is an old saying that says "what's down in the well, comes up in the bucket."  What's in your heart is often reflected in your speech.   
Sometimes our foul or disrespectful language seems right for the setting (sports etc).  We even give it cool names like "smack" or "trash" talk.  Yet last year's fiasco with two players for the Miami Dolphins shows that often what is meant for a joke or to get someone to "grow some thick skin" still penetrates people and is painful.  Worse, some of the deepest divides between people in the church have started with gossip or even just rumors of gossip.  Clearly, God is concerned about the tremendous impact that our speech has on our witness to or against Christ. 
Finally, sometimes what is NOT said can be a witness to or against Christ.  As I reflect on my life, there have been many times that I fell into the trap of "group think" and piled on a conversation that was tearing someone down (usually behind their back).  Sometimes I participated in these and knew that the conversation was factually incorrect and disrespectful, but took no action to correct the conversation and stop it.  A former pastor often said, silence is golden, but sometimes it's yellow. 
So, what's in your well?  What comes out of your mouth when your team isn't winning?  What spews out of your pie hole when you're mad at those in authority over you ?  When I "creep" on your Facebook or Twitter sites, do I find language that glorifies and witnesses to Christ in your life or will I find something else entirely?  If I find something else, why do you waste your time and God's by pretending?  Who do you think you're kidding besides yourself? 
Lord forgive me for failing to be a positive witness for you in all that I do and say.  May the words of my mouth reflect a deep and abiding love for you to all I encounter not just today, but in all my days. 

No comments: