Thursday, March 13, 2014

Mar 13

Proverbs 17: 17 A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity. (AMP)
 
I can clearly remember how members of my church surrounded me and my family when my Dad died.  It was just a few days after hurricane Ivan and they showed up in droves to help clean up, cook meals, and otherwise be the hands, feet, and shoulders-to-cry-on of Jesus.  I truly felt the love of God in very real and tactile ways.  Furthermore at least one replaced my Dad as a role model in my life.  He became someone I could model my life after as one who is doing his best to be like Christ.  Similarly when Reja's Dad died these same friends descended on us to let us know they cared and were there for us, one even taking over a sizeable (and expensive) piece of our remodeling job that I dropped to attend to family.  These acts of agape love not only eased our pain and suffering, but much more importantly helped convince me of the tangible reality of God and thus increased my faith. 
Interestingly Jesus didn't promise us an escape from adversity when we trust our lives to him.  As spiritual beings living in a broken and fallen physical world, we all experience storms in life through failed relationships, health challenges, personal failures, or simply disappointment with others.  How awesome is it that God created special people and placed them in our lives simply to communicate His love to us in a physical way! 
Lord may I be your hands and feet to those around me who are lost and hurting.  Inspire me to love others in a real and genuine way so that You may be known to others as you have made Yourself known to me. 

No comments: