Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Do I Trust Him?

A man with leprosy came and knelt in front of Jesus, begging to be healed. “If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean,” he said.

Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!”  Instantly the leprosy disappeared, and the man was healed. – Mark 1:40-41

I am struck at the timing of this devotion in this devotion series by Tony Dungy.  At least timing in the sense of what is happening around me.  But then, when would there not be a time when I didn’t need or someone I know need healing from a physical, emotional, or spiritual pain?  So I guess every day is a good day to read about and study how Jesus heals.

Tony does a great job today in his writing discussing this man with leprosy, Jarius, and Mary and Martha.  He discusses that all of them had belief that Jesus could heal him, his daughter, or their brother.  They might not have had understanding, and we might not either, but they had belief and we can too.

When I study and reflect upon this Bible text I get the same sense, that there is something special about this man because of how the man believed.  This man with leprosy “came and knelt” at Jesus’ feet. He approached Jesus with Jesus as the one with authority, as his Lord.  But he says something different than others, he imparts truth in his belief in Jesus, “If you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean.”  He isn’t saying Jesus can’t do it, by what he says he knows he can.  He just doesn’t know if Jesus is willing.  And this is the hang-up for me and many others.  What do we do if we know Jesus can heal but don’t know if He’s willing?  What if it’s not in the cards or a part of His plan? 

Sometimes I think this is the true test of faith.  Am I willing to believe in Jesus just as much with no miracle healings as I am with them?  Do I know Him that well?  When the three Hebrew children were to be thrown into the fire for not worshipping the idol, they said (my summary) “Our God can deliver us from this fire, but even if He doesn’t, we will not worship your idol.”  Am I willing to allow God to order the steps of the world, to order my steps, and accept them?  Am I willing to accept them and not waiver on my belief, my faith in who He is as the Son of the Living God, the Savior of the world?

Jesus said, “I am willing, be healed.”  Healed might most appropriately mean a complete faith in Jesus.  I must trust the Unseen with the seen.  I must trust the Known with my unknown.  “Where You lead me, I will trust You.”

No comments: