Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Daniel

Then King Darius wrote: To all peoples, nations, and languages that dwell in all the earth: Peace be multiplied to you.  I make a decree that in every dominion of my kingdom men must tremble and fear before the God of Daniel.

                For He is the living God,
                And steadfast forever;
                His kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed,
                And His dominion shall endure to the end.
- Daniel 6:25-26

Here King Darius had just watched God shut the lions' mouths and protect Daniel for a night, but then eat Daniel's accusers and break all their bones "in pieces before they ever came to the bottom of the den".  And so the king was very wise to recognize the power of Daniel's God.  But more so, he recognized Him as much more.  His description of God is very good and I wonder how many of us today are able to write with confidence and complete belief in our heart the words he declared to the known world.

Why don't we wake up every day and say, "For He is the living God and He lives inside my heart!  He is steadfast forever, my rock of salvation who never moves!  His eternal kingdom will never be destroyed and He has made a place for me with Him there!  His dominion over His Creation shall be forever!"  Would I have a different outlook on the day?  How big would my problems look in light of that written upon my heart every morning?  Would I be sensitive to what other people think about me with that declaration on my mind?  I think Yes, Little, and No would be my answers.

The king had come to believe in Daniel's God through Daniel's faith.  Before he had to have Daniel put into the den of lions the king told Daniel, "Your God, whom you serve continually, He will deliver you."  What an amazing statement from someone about God who only knows Him from another's witness!  Who around me would make a statement like that for me based on my witness for God?  Worse still, do I even believe with such a pure heart that I could say this and know it in the face of a life-threatening trial?

I think the "whom you serve continually" part of this is where I fail and maybe that's why I would fail the questions above.  Everything Daniel did was a reflection on his close relationship with God.  He was very clear that his relationship and commitment and dedication of life was for his living God.  God honored his sacrifice of life, relenting of anything for himself except to focus himself upon serving God.  Here is where I must focus my thoughts and actions.

No comments: