Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mar 18

1 John 5:18  We know [absolutely] that anyone born of God does not [deliberately and knowingly] practice committing sin, but the One Who was begotten of God carefully watches over and protects him [Christ's divine presence within him preserves him against the evil], and the wicked one does not lay hold (get a grip) on him or touch [him]. (AMP)

I don't know about you, but I struggle with temptation. I'm tempted to over-eat or have drink after a stressful day.  I'm tempted to search for happiness in material things.  I'm tempted to be unnecessarily critical of my wife. And I could continue, but you get the picture.  Most of you know that I have a spotty record of resisting these temptations and have therefore sinned.  Thankfully God and most of you love me in spite of my numerous shortcomings.  I find that incredible. Yet, despite that agape love, I'm nevertheless compelled to do better; to make those of you to whom I'm closest, proud and deserve your respect; to be a man of Godly character worthy of the respect that many of you show me.  This compunction is counter cultural. Today's world is being sold a lie that somehow they are entitled to something for nothing and these entitlements are central to today's political dialogue.  Scripture clearly teaches us we are to earn our daily meal (2 Thes 3:12). This dialogue bleeds over into how we accept the gospel message. We teach that accepting Jesus as Savior costs us nothing. The correct message is that there is nothing we can do to earn God's grace it is a freely offered gift that we must choose to accept.  Accepting Christ as savior In reality costs us everything!  It costs us a life dedicated to sin and calls us into a sinless and perfect life (Matt 5:48).
The good news is that because God places his Holy Spirit in us, we are free from the impossible responsibility of obedience on our own. To allow God to make us perfect, however, requires that we give up our own selfish desires and give Him control over each and every aspect of our life.  I have areas of my life in which I struggle daily some of which I confessed above.  How about you?  Are you perfect?  If not, what are you doing about it?  Are you trying to conquer sin on your own?  Worse, do you insist on sinning in spite of clear direction from God to avoid that behavior?  What's stopping us from letting go of sin and letting God fill us with perfection?  I have a few ideas, but look forward to you inputs!

No comments: