Monday, March 10, 2014

Be patient

Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain.  You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand. - James 5:7-8

As I read these verses I believe James, who jumps quickly from topic to topic in his writing, is specifically writing to encourage the believers, especially those who are being persecuted and suffering under the hand of man, to "be patient".  I get the sense he is saying "don't stop your well doing", "keep your hand to the plow, keep fertilizing, keep watering, the fruit from your efforts will come from God's hand".  And he secures this point with verse 8 saying, "establish your heart".  In other words, "ask in faith, with no doubting" and do not be "a double-minded man" as he instructs in the beginning of his letter in James 1:6-8.  The writer of Hebrews says it this way in 10:23, "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

Why should I be patient in perseverance?  Why should I be stable and established in my heart to stay the course?  Because "the coming of the Lord is at hand"!  God is here, now.  God is with me and has not forsaken me.  God is ready to nurture, grow, and reap.  God has called me, one of the few laborers (Luke 10:2), and I am needed.  I must allow God to perfect my character in my perseverance so I might add to my faith and grow godliness, brotherly kindness, and love (2 Peter 2:5-8).

It is difficult to read these verses, here in the comfort of my soft office chair in my perfectly controlled air environment drinking my Starbuck's coffee, knowing that Christians in many nations are being persecuted severely.  I have recently completed a book in the Voices of the Martyrs series of books and reading about their persecution, endurance, and unwavering faith is challenging to my faith.  On Friday I read where a Christian in Syria was beheaded and hung from a soccer goal as an example.  Sunday, I learn about 30 Christians in North Korea who are jailed and to be executed for starting over 500 home churches there.  And we "lazy western Christians" as Rev. Siglar said on Sunday, have a difficult time even praying for these front-line brothers and sisters in Christ. 

"Dang it, my computer is a little slow this morning.  Tourist traffic already!  I ate too much, again."  ...  Yeah, I got real problems challenging my faith.  For a country covered with churches and Bibles, I often consider that we might be the weakest Christians on the planet since our faith is rarely tested.  We must make conscience efforts to put every day in the hands of God and declare, "Today, God it is You or nothing.  Everything in this day depends upon You and nothing else."  This call to God, this mindset of dependence, this affirmation in God's deliverance, can change my life today and I can learn to live like those in real suffering who have learned to live everyday this way.  Why do I think I have a choice to not live this way and call myself a follower of Christ?

No comments: