Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lifesong

Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood.  For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death.  Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying.

We also know that the Son did not come to help angels; he came to help the descendants of Abraham.  Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God.  Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people [to make propitiation for the sins of the people].  Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested. - Hebrews 2:14-18 (NLT)

Here in chapter 2 the writer says in verses 2-3, "For since the message spoken through angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation?"  How can we indeed!  It is only through Jesus Christ who came as we are in "flesh and blood", lived perfectly, tempted in every way, died but could not be held and rose again.  Only through His worthy sacrifice may our chains of sin be broken through our belief in Him so that we do not fear death, but rather, see it as an eternal home in the presence of the Living and Holy God. 

The Jews had A Day of Atonement where they would refrain from working and offer sacrifices to be given for their sins.  Charles Spurgeon notes that "if a bullock could be accepted to make atonement, how much more shall the Lord Jesus be our full and all-sufficient propitiation?"  How can there be a more perfect sacrifice than God Himself?  God says to us, "you don't deserve it, but I love you, you deserve destruction, but I love you, so I'm going to give Myself for you."  May I accept this sacrifice at once and may it be as new to me now as it was the day I first believed.  Oh how I yearn that I am the Lord's today and no part of me resist his reconciliation!

Now, how may I apply this foundation as the spring of life to my life today?  Who must know the extent of my doubtless belief?  I must be mindful that whomever I do not tell or show my belief to is actually someone I do not love.  Or, I love myself more than them as I am unwilling to be uncomfortable or rejected rather than show someone what separates them from true eternal life.  Who must I sacrifice my wants and desires for today?  How can I lift others so that they may see Christ? 

"Lord I give my life
A living sacrifice
To reach a world in need

To be Your hands and feet"

May my lifesong be a continual celebration of joy today as I reflect upon what Jesus has done!

No comments: