Thursday, March 20, 2014

Mar 20

But clothe yourself with the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah), and make no provision for [indulging] the flesh [put a stop to thinking about the evil cravings of your physical nature] to [gratify its] desires (lusts). (Romans 13:14 AMP)

I don't usually think too much about what to wear, but here Paul directs us to clothe ourselves in Christ. Clothes are a covering for our bodies. They offer protection against the elements and a covering so we are acceptable in public.  This is great!  I'm liking this verse - I'll take Jesus' protection and his covering for my image.  From there, however, God demands discipline to make no provision for indulging the flesh. A truly hard rule as my stomach growls and I prepare to head to the breakfast buffet.  Furthermore we're to even stop thinking about evil cravings.  Now being hungry isn't a sin, but what about the last word here: lust.  Ouch!  This is a difficult one to master, yet by putting on Christ, the Holy Spirit can provide the willpower we lack.  My issue is do I really want Jesus to control my evil lusts or do I buy into the lie that happiness can be found in the desires of the flesh. As the rich young ruler said, this is a difficult teaching.

No comments: