Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Witnessing without Words

“Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words.”
Francis of Assisi

One of the greatest privileges of my life was to eulogize my Father-in-Law, Charles Beasley, when he passed away eight years ago this week.  I can clearly recall praying about what God would have said at this great man's passing and one of the things that struck me the most about him was something he never said.  It was something he always did. 
When Reja and I married, we visited her home often.  We took advantage of her mother's excellent cooking and their joyous approach to life to have a mini vacation, usually skipping church unless it was a special occasion.  One Easter, for instance, we visited their church in Gulfport Mississippi and at the end of the service, the choir closed with the Halleluiah Chorus and they asked if anyone in the congregation wanted to join the choir.  They didn't have to ask me twice and Reja and I were the only two to join.  What a blast to crash the choir to join in one of the greatest praise songs ever!  But I digress. 
Over the years, I noted that when Reja and I were at her home, her Dad quietly slipped out on Sundays and went to church whether anyone joined him or not.  He always inquired as to our plans, but beyond that never pressured anyone or said anything about it.  He simply got up, laced up his dress shoes (he was always a sharp-dressed man) and went to church.  Often he would go to an early service to be home to be with us before we had to depart to return home, but he almost always went.  
So at his Celebration of Life service, I noted that although he almost never talked about his faith, his actions proved its depth.  His love for his wife, his family and his Lord were evident in what he did much more than what he said and upon reflection it had a lasting impact on me.  I'm positive that he wasn't even thinking about anyone watching him as he laced up his shoes and went to church.  He simply went because he knew he needed it and he was dedicated to his faith.  I saw it and I'm a changed man because of his silent witness.  Although I'm positive that his silent action wasn't intended as a witness what I saw in him changed me and to this day I don't skip church without remembering how much impact his action had on me.  Although he never knew, he was being watched and had a profound impact in a very simple act of dedicated attendance. 
We never know who might be watching and drawing conclusions from our actions.  I really don't think anyone really looks at me in the slightest, but if anyone does weigh my life, I hope they can sift out a portion of the dedication I saw in my father-in-law. 
Skipping church doesn't seem like a big deal, but what conclusions are those around you drawing.  I bet you didn't realize that people are watching.  I watched my father-in-law witness with his feet.  Are you willing to lace up your shoes and silently witness?

2 comments:

Chris said...

I remember you saying that on the trip over to Gulfport, you felt God telling you that you would do that service. Way before anyone asked you to do it. I think that is one of those awesome times where God's knowledge of the future and His Spirit inside is working for someone's good. Your sensitivity to that and to be a willing vessel should be a reminder to you of His continued work in you during other times of life.

May there be a day, one day, where every day is as those days.

Unknown said...

Amen