Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fool's Day

Today on April Fool's Day, I can't help but be reminded of some sad fool's day that will occur for many.  One day there will be many fools gathered together acknowledging that there is a God.  "The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Psalms 53:1)  They may have "reasoned" in their intelligence or practiced a life of lying to themselves assuring that there is no God.  They may have developed their own authority over morality, over what they believed is good and not good, over their own actions and the actions of others, but there will be a day where the authority of all is revealed and not questioned by anyone.  "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before Me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" (Romans 14:11)

On this day many who seemed to know God, but only used God for personal gain, personal recognition, or personal escape will be exposed.  Their many "good" works being done so others could see and think well of them; their seeking of position among the saved to hide as a wolf among sheep and to seek their own glory, will be exposed.  The intent of all their work will be revealed.  "Many will say to Me on that day [reckoning], 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name and in Your name drive out demons and in Your name perform many miracles?'  Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you.  Away from Me, you evildoers!'" (Matthew 7:22-24)  As God told Samuel when selecting David, He looks upon the heart.  Those whose heart does not live in faith do not know God.  Those who are not crushed by the weight of grace and mercy, the forgiveness of their sins, and the love of God upon their existence, do not know God.  On that day, that fool, who has not been true to himself about the depth of his belief; that fool, who has told the lie of self-justification so many times that he believed it; that fool will be sent away from Jesus.

The importance of today is to search my heart.  Am I one of those fools?  Do I live every day dependent upon Christ for the very next breath, heartbeat, or second of life?  Am I close to tears every time I remember the depth of my sin and the reach and willingness of Jesus to forgive those sins?  Am I broken in thankfulness and gratefulness over not having to carry my sin burden?  Are my actions being done for my own glory?  Do I serve Him so others can see Him?  Am I overjoyed that He has a single use for me, regardless of its description?  Do I serve Him willingly?  Do I serve Him because I am compelled and overcome by my love for Him?  Or, am I one of those fools?

No comments: