Monday, April 13, 2015

What are we doing?

Malachi 3:7  Ever since the days of your ancestors, you have scorned my decrees and failed to obey them. Now return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD of Heaven's Armies. "But you ask, 'How can we return when we have never gone away?' (NLT)
Judges 17:6 In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit.
Apathy seems universal right now.  No one seems to be excited about God or his works.  It seems like we view God as an ethereal Emergency Medical Technician - only calling on him when we run out of ideas, airspeed, and altitude.  Youth are non-plussed by church and don't seem to have a sense of urgency about the things of God.  Parents seem to attend when its convenient and are usually content to gripe rather than lead.  When faced with decisions we gather data and do the best we can on our own and hope God will endorse our efforts.  Maybe its just my perception or maybe I'm just tired of all the fabricated drama that seems rampant.  I guess I just don't see a society that lives a life in the constant context of a relationship with God.  From my perspective, it seems like well-meaning people keep God in a box and only "bother" him when absolutely necessary or its that time of the week to "turn our hearts towards God."  Then when things go to hell on earth we scream out an "oh-God help me" prayer and cop an "how could God let this happen?" attitude.  Or maybe its a rainy Monday and I'm just grumpy. 
Oh God guide me today in every detail.  May I, through the power of your spirit in me, be a dose of your grace in every encounter today.  Guide my thoughts, decisions, and words such that in everything you are glorified and others around me honored as your children.  May I lead and in that leadership be part of solutions, not additional problems.  Forgive me for my own apathy, laziness, and lack of attention to detail to things of eternal significance.  Grant me revival such that I sense a nearness to you that is infective to those around me.  May I as your imperfect child, we as a family, church, and nation return to you and reject not just evil, but our own goals and ambitions so that in everything that is done it is in response to your call, not our best guess.  Speak clearly, loudly, and often Lord that I might hear through my hardened heart.  Overwhelm me with a burden to be about your business and lesson my numerous distractions. 

No comments: